VIsa & Passport


The Consular Passport and Visa (CPV) Division of the Ministry of External Affairs is responsible for issuance of Indian Passport to the Indian Citizens. This document is issued from 28 locations across the country and 160 Indian missions abroad. The passport can be applied in the passport office, having your present address area in its jurisdiction. To apply for a passport, you have to obtain an application form from the Passport Office or the designated Speed Post Centers or any of the designated outlets in your city. Along with the duly filled application form, you have to submit proof of residence, date of birth, change of name, documents for ECNR, expired passport (if any), passport size photographs etc. The normal time taken for issuance of a passport is five to six weeks. However in case of an emergency you can apply for a fresh or duplicate passport under the 'Tatkal' scheme. The Tatkal Scheme allows passports to be issued on payment of additional fee over and above the normal passport application fee. The 'Tatkal' Scheme would only be applicable in cases where either the police verification report is not required (minors less than 15 years of age) or where a passport can be issued on post police verification basis (duplicate passport/re-issue of passport without change in address, Government servants with NOC and their spouses and applications with Verification Certificates).


Foreign Nationals desirous of coming into India are required to possess a valid passport of their country and a valid Indian Visa. People of all nationalities are welcome to visit India for tourism, business, education, family reunions etc. Nationals of Pakistan and Afghanistan are advised to apply for their visa well in advance of their intended travel because the procedure for processing their applications often takes longer than for other nationalities. All visa applicants must posses a valid passport of their country of citizenship. There is no provision of 'Visa on Arrival' in India and no fee is charged for immigration facilities at the airports. Foreign passengers should ensure that they are in possession of valid Indian Visa before they start their journey to India except nationals of Nepal and Bhutan who do not require visa to enter India and nationals of Maldives who do not require visa for entry in India for a period up to 90 days (a separate Visa regime exists for diplomatic / official passport holders). VISA APPLICATION FORM Visa application form is available at the office of Indian Embassy in the country where the NRI/PIO resides. Visa form for nationals of Pakistan and Bangladesh are generally different. All Persons of Indian Origins / Non Resident Indian (NRIs / PIOs) including children (who don't possess OCI or PIO card) need to apply for Visa in separate visa forms. Visa for Persons of Indian Origins / Non Resident Indian (NRI's / PIO's) - Persons of Indian Origins and Non - Resident Indians who possess either OCI (Overseas Indian Citizenship) or PIO card don't need Indian Visa. OCI and PIO give them the freedom to visit India without visa. OCI and PIO cards are multi-purpose life long visa for visiting India. However, those NRI's and PIO's who don't have OCI or PIO card can apply for and get Indian visa through the procedure mentioned above. TYPES OF VISA Specific Visas are granted for a variety of purposes. Listed below in a tabular form are the types of visa; categorized on the basis of purpose of staying in India.


Type Period Documents required
Tourist Visa 6 months Docs supporting the applicant’s financial standing
Business Visa One or more years Letter from the sponsoring organization
Student Visa For duration of the course of study or for a period of five years whichever is less Proof of admission to recognized Universities / Institutions in India
Transit Visa Maximum For 15 Days Docs supporting the applicant’s financial standing
Conference Visa For the duration of the conference or seminar Letter of invitation from the organizer of the country
Journalist Visa Three months' stay Professional journalists / photographers for Events
Employment Visa Employment visas are initially issued for one year stay. Can be extended, if the job contract continues.


Religious missionaries can obtain visas for single entry and duration as permitted by the Government of India. Writers who are known to have offended religious sentiments have been refused visa in recent years. Foreign religious preachers known, or suspected, to be able to arouse religious passions that can disturb peaceful co - existence of all religions, are unlikely to be given visa.


Employment visas are initially issued for one year stay. This can be extended by the Foreigners' Regional Registration Office in India, if the job contract continues. Spouses and children will get coterminous visas.


Generally the following documents are required for obtaining Indian Visa. However, the requirement may vary from country to country. Original passport valid for at least 6 months Visa fee Two passport size photographs Supporting documents, where necessary Duly completed application form


Foreigner's Regional Registration Offices (FRROs) in New Delhi, Mumbai and Calcutta and the Chief Immigration Officer in Madras, handle visa renewals as well as permits for Restricted Areas, via Andaman Islands, Sikkim, Assam, Ladakh, Lahaul Spiti, etc.

  • New Delhi - 1st Floor, Hans Bhavan, Tilak Bridge, New Delhi, India, PIN Code - 110002, Telephone - (91 11) 3319489.
  • Kolkata - 9/1, Gariahat Road, Calcutta, West Bengal, India PIN Code - 700020, Telephone - (91 33) 443301, 2470549.
  • Chennai - 9, Village Road, Nungabakkam, Madras, India, PIN Code - 600034, Telephone - (91 44) 8270549.
  • Mumbai - 2nd Floor, 414 V.S. Marg, Prabhadevi, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, PIN Code - 400001, Telephone - (91 22) 430133.


Foreigners coming to India on tourist visas for 180 days or a shorter period are not required to register themselves with any authority in India. They can move about freely in the country, except to restricted / protected areas and prohibited places.


Ministry of External Affairs Consular Division Bureau of Immigration